Composed of 1 troy ounce of .999 pure silver, the 1996 Australian Kookaburra is a simple and affordable way to invest in precious metal — and it’s eligible for contribution in your self-directed IRA.
Each 1 oz Silver Kookaburra arrives in brilliant uncirculated condition, housed in a plastic capsule for long-term storage and protection.
Since 1990, the Perth Mint has released the Silver Kookaburra annually. Each installment features a new design, available in various sizes, from one ounce to one kilo.
The reverse of each 1996 1 oz Silver Kookaburra features the famous Aussie bird in flight. It is inscribed with the words “THE AUSTRALIAN KOOKABURRA, 1 OZ .999 SILVER” and the year.
The obverse of each Silver Kookaburra features Raphael Maklouf’s Queen Elizabeth II design, and it is inscribed with the coin’s denomination of one dollar.
<strong<About the Perth Mint
The Perth Mint was founded in 1899 after gold was discovered in local Australian deposits. The newly-established mint struck gold and silver sovereigns until Great Britain abandoned the gold standard in 1931.
The mint remained under British ownership until July of 1970, when it ceded to the state government of Western Australia. Today, the Perth Mint produces nearly all of the nation’s legal tender bullion coins in its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility.
1996: A Year in History
– January 7 – The new year rings in with one of the worst blizzards in American history. More than 150 people were killed in the nation’s eastern states.
– January 15 – Nine-year-old Amber Hagerman was murdered in Arlington, Texas, prompting the development of the AMBER Alert system.
– April 3 – “Unabomber” Ted Kaczynski was arrested at his cabin in rural Montana.
– May 10 – The Australian government unveiled its ban on the private ownership of automatic and semi-automatic rifles in response to the Port Arthur massacre the previous month.
– July 2 – The Menendez Brothers were both sentenced to life in prison for the 1989 murder of their parents.
– July 5 – Dolly the Sheep, the first cloned mammal, was born at the Roslin Institute of Scotland.
– July 19 – The 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta kicked off.
– August 16 – Binti Jua, a female gorilla at Chicago’s Brookfield Zoo, was videotaped sitting near and protecting a 3-year-old boy who fell into her enclosure.
– August 23 – Osama bin Laden wrote The Declaration of Jihad on the Americans Occupying the Country of the Two Sacred Places — demanding the removal of American forces in Saudi Arabia.
– December 25 – Six-year-old JonBent Ramsey was murdered in the basement of her Colorado home.
Own a piece of world history — and silver. Purchase 1996 1 oz Silver Kookaburras from Provident Metals today. Use our secure online ordering system and your coins will arrive in just days.
When the subtotal of your purchase, including applicable discounts, is $199 or more, you receive free shipping for your entire order. In order to receive free shipping on purchases of $199 or more, you must live within the 50 US states. For orders less than $199, a $9.95 shipping fee applies. All products are discreetly packaged and shipped with full insurance included.
Most Provident orders are shipped within one (1) business day of your payment clearing. Payments made via PayPal clear instantly. Bitcoin payments clear instantly once the transaction is confirmed. Credit Card and bank wire payments process within 1 business day. ACH and paper check payments take 3-5 business days. Once payments are processed, products are released to fulfillment for packaging and shipping.
All orders of $199 or more that are eligible for free shipping are, by default, shipped via a carrier of our choice (USPS or UPS). Depending on the contents and size of your purchase, you may be able to upgrade to a specific carrier during checkout.
For those orders of $999.99 or less, there is no need to sign for your package. However, you may select the option to require a signature at delivery if you want. This can be chosen and paid for at checkout. All orders of $1000 or more require a signature to complete delivery.
Provident is only able to ship to addresses in any of the 50 US states. This includes P.O. boxes and APO addresses.
|Metal Content||1 troy oz|
|Metals Purity||.999 Fine Silver|