The obverse features two leopards supporting a shield. Each leopard supports a foot on a pair of crossing lances, intertwined with a ribbon and framed by two crossing palm fronds. The coin reads "SOMALI REPUBLIC," the date of mint and the currency denomination.
Each year, the coin features a different rendering of elephants in their natural savannah habitat. In 2016 the reverse featured a majestic elephant towering next to a grove of trees and below the sun. The depiction is surrounded by "AFRICAN WILDLIFE," "ELEPHANT," and the coin's weight and purity of .999 silver.
This bullion coin for the Nation of Somalia is produced by the world-renowned Bavarian State Mint, which has been producing coins since 1158. The Somali Elephant has grown in popularity as a silver bullion investment coin since its inception in 2001. The original annual production rate was set 5,000, but mintage has grown to 130,000 per year.
- Mint: Bavarian State Mint
- Type: Bullion (Investment), uncirculated brilliant
- Mintage: Minted annually since 2004
- Silver Content: 0.999 Fine Silver
- Diameter: 39 mm in diameter (1.535 in.)
- Thickness: 3 mm in thickness (0.1181 in.)
- Weight: 1 kilo and 1 oz troy ounce
- Face Value: 2000 Shillings and 100 Shillings
- Coin Highlights:
- Official bullion coin of the sovereign government of Somalia
- offered in as a 1 kilogram coin, and a 1 troy ounce coin
- Offered in Brilliant Uncirculated condition
- Design of the reverse is different each year
- Qualifies for most self-direct precious metal IRAs
The Somali Silver Elephant is a wonderful coin to diversify your IRA-eligible silver bullion holdings. It's an unusual and beautiful specimen of foreign silver bullion that holds the weight and status of being minted by one of the world's most venerable mints. The Elephant also offers two denominations that meet the needs of any investor. Coins can be purchased individually, in multiples of 20, or as multiples of 500 in strapped monster boxes from the Bavarian State Mint.