While the modern US dollar is predominantly available as a printed banknote, there was a period in American history when the dollar was available in both silver and gold as a coin. While the silver dollar was available longer, the United States Mint did issue $1 (USD) gold coins for 40 years in the 19th century. Right now, you can purchase the Pre-33 $1 Indian Gold Coins online courtesy of Provident Metals.
Pre-33 $1 Indian Gold Coins ship to you with a protective plastic flip to house the coin. These coins are examples of cleaned specimens. At some point in time, a previous owner attempted to clean the abrasions or diminished luster of the coin. Cleaned coins often have further diminished luster or visual appeal, but still retain the inherent value of the actual gold content contained within. All $1 Indian Gold Coins have 90% gold content with the remaining 10% comprised of copper for greater durability in circulation.
Pre-33 $1 Indian Gold Coins Type 2 come with the left-profile portrait of Lady Liberty. In this design from James B. Longacre, Liberty wears a full, feathered headdress with the coronet crown that includes the word Liberty on it. The inscription on this side of the coin reads United States of America.
Type 2 $1 Indian Gold Coins have a reverse design that features the denomination and date mark in the center, with a full wreath around these inscriptions. This design was also created by James B. Longacre.
$1 Indian Gold Coins were struck by the United States Mint from 1849 to 1889. The obverse design was changed twice from the original Longacre design, while the reverse design was changed once from Peter Filatreau Crosss original design to Longacres design. The Type 2 Indian Gold Coin was only available from 1854 to 1856. Longacre added the feathered headdress to the coronet on Libertys head and removed the 13 stars around her from the Type 1 design. The Type 2 would later be replaced by the Type 3 obverse in which Liberty no longer wears the coronet and is featured in a larger size with only the feathered headdress. Type 2 reverse designs were used from 1854 to 1889 and extended the wreath frame to fully enclose the date mark and denomination.
Please note that these coins will be chosen at random. All coins have been cleaned and we do not guarantee specific date marks. If you buy more than one, you may receive several matching date marks. If you have questions, please contact Provident Metals at 800-313-3315, chat with us online, or email us.
When the subtotal of your purchase, including applicable discounts, is $199 or more, you receive free shipping for your entire order. In order to receive free shipping on purchases of $199 or more, you must live within the 50 US states. For orders less than $199, a $7.99 shipping fee applies. All products are discreetly packaged and shipped with full insurance included.
Most Provident orders are shipped within one (1) business day of your payment clearing. Payments made via PayPal clear instantly. Bitcoin payments clear instantly once the transaction is confirmed. Credit Card and bank wire payments process within 1 business day. ACH and paper check payments take 3-5 business days. Once payments are processed, products are released to fulfillment for packaging and shipping.
All orders of $199 or more that are eligible for free shipping are, by default, shipped via a carrier of our choice (USPS or UPS). Depending on the contents and size of your purchase, you may be able to upgrade to a specific carrier during checkout.
For those orders of $999.99 or less, there is no need to sign for your package. However, you may select the option to require a signature at delivery if you want. This can be chosen and paid for at checkout. All orders of $1000 or more require a signature to complete delivery.
Provident is only able to ship to addresses in any of the 50 US states. This includes P.O. boxes and APO addresses.
|Designer (Obverse)||James B. Longacre|
|Designer (Reverse)||James B. Longacre|
|Product Series||$1 Gold Indian Type 2|
|Certificate of Authenticity||No|
|Metal Content||.0483 Troy Ounce|
|Shipping||Orders over $199 Ship Free|