The obverse side of the Glacier park 5-ounce silver coin features a portrait of George Washington, the first U.S. President, which is the same image that appears on legal tender (circulating) quarters. "United States of America," "In God We Trust," and "Liberty" are also stamped.
The Glacier's reverse design features a shot of the legendary northeast slope of Mount Reynolds, with a mountain goat pictured climbing along the area's rugged terrain. Surrounding these images are the inscriptions "Glacier," "Montana," and "E Pluribus Unum" along with "2011," the year of issue.
Authorized by the America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008, the America the Beautiful series also includes standard, legal tender quarters as well. Each coin will feature 56 historic or natural landmarks in every U.S. state and territory, including the District of Columbia. The program is slated to run through 2021 with 5 new reverse designs each year.
Glacier National Park is a unique natural treasure situated on the Canadian border in Montana and is classified as a Biosphere Reserve by the United Nations.
Glacier's unique, mountainous environment is said to have been cut by moving glaciers during the last Ice Age some 10,000 years ago. The park also includes 130 named lakes as well as over a thousand plant and animal species.
- Mint: U.S. Mint (West Point)
- Type: Bullion (Investment)
- Mintage: Minted in 2011 with 126,700 uncirculated coins
- Silver Content: 0.999 fine silver
- Diameter: 76.2 mm in diameter (3 in.)
- Thickness: 3.25 mm in thickness (0.128 in.)
- Weight: 5 troy ounces (155.5g)
- Face Value: $0.25
- Coin Highlights:
- This coin's particular design was chosen out of many beautiful options.
- The Blue Ridge Parkway coin is the second 2011 release in the America the Beautiful series, and is the 7th overall release.
- The coin's final design is selected by the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury.
- Contains 99.9% pure silver.
- Coin quality is guaranteed by the U.S. mint.
The Glacier National Park Silver Coin, like the other coins in the America the Beautiful Coin Series, are a great way to invest in silver bullion. Five unique designs are released each year with a very narrow production window. Because each coin is produced for a limited time, coin mitage is also limited. Consequently, the unique and beautiful designs and limited mintage make these silver coins highly attractive to coin collectors.
In addition to their collectibility, represent a certified and significant investment in silver. Each coin consists of five troy ounces of .999 fine silver, largely sourced from the United States. And because the United States Mint manufactures and distributes the America the Beautiful Silver Coins, each coin qualifies to be included in a self-directed Precious Metal IRA.