The front of the Frederick Douglass silver coin features John Flanagan’s classic portrait of George Washington. This portrait is featured on all United States quarters.
Frederick Douglass has been widely recognized as one of the most important African American abolitionists of the 19th century.
Douglass began his life as a slave in Maryland and taught himself to read at a young age. Though he attempted to escape slavery several times, Douglass was unsuccessful until 1838 when he finally escaped to the North. It was at this time that he took the last name Douglass.
Douglass and his wife soon settled in Bedford, Massachusetts, where he began preaching and attending abolitionist meetings. In 1845, Douglass released his first autobiography, entitled Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave. As the American Civil War loomed, Douglass saw the opportunity to campaign further against slavery. He served the Union's cause in many ways and even advised President Lincoln.
In February 1988, Frederick Douglass' home became known as the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site and sits in Washington D.C.
- Mint: U.S. Mint (West Point)
- Type: Bullion (Investment)
- Mintage: Minted in 2017, final mintage to be determined
- Silver Content: 0.999 fine silver
- Diameter: 76.2 mm in diameter (3 in.)
- Thickness: 3.25 mm in thickness (0.128 in.)
- Weight: 5 troy ounces (155.5g)
- Face Value: $0.25
- Coin Highlights:
- Contains 0.999 pure silver
- This coin's final reverse design was chosen from 6 possible choices
- This coin's size, 3 inches in diameter, is unique to the United States Mint
- Coin quality is guaranteed by the United States Mint
- This coin's release date is scheduled for April 3, 2017
Most invest in the America the Beautiful Silver Coin Series for one of two reasons. Because each design is minted by and available from the United States Mint for a brief period of time, mintage is limited. A limited mintage in connection with the reputation of US silver bullion increase the value of these silver rounds on the secondary market.
The America the Beautiful Silver Coin Series is a well-recognized investment instrument. Each of these rounds consists of five troy ounces of .999 fine silver. Because the US Government recognizes the ATB Silver Coin series as legal tender, and because each round is minted in an ISO 9001 mint, the America the Beautiful Silver Coins qualify to be included in a self-directed precious metals IRA.