The front (obverse) of the Harpers Ferry quarter features a restored version of the George Washington portrait by John Flanagan, which is characteristic of United States Quarters.
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park in West Virginia is situated at the point where the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers merge. The area was first established as a national historical park in 1963 by Congress and includes both the town of Harpers Ferry and the surrounding natural areas – around 4,000 acres in total.
In 1859, abolitionist John Brown led a group of armed men to capture the Harpers Ferry armory in order to provide arms for slaves and attempt to overthrow slavery. Brown was faced with a group of U.S. Marines and was forced to retreat to the armory's firehouse where he was ultimately captured. The firehouse is now known as John Brown's Fort and is featured on this commemorative quarter.
Though he was captured in the armory and hanged, Brown's efforts proved to be instrumental to fueling efforts that ultimately led to the American Civil War.
- Mint: U.S. Mint (West Point)
- Type: Bullion (Investment)
- Mintage: Minted in 2016 with 52,357 uncirculated coins
- Silver Content: 0.999 fine silver
- Diameter: 76.2 mm in diameter (3 in.)
- Thickness: 3.25 mm in thickness (0.128 in.)
- Weight: 5 troy ounces (155.5g)
- Face Value: $0.25
- Coin Highlights:
- The chosen design was selected among 8 other options, each depicting other aspects of Harpers Ferry.
- Prominently features John Brown's Fort which was the spot of Brown's final stand during his led armory raid.
- Third America the Beautiful Commemorative Coin released for 2016 and 33rd release out of the expected 56 coins.
- Eligible for a government-backed precious metal IRA account.
- Composed of 99.9% pure silver.
The America the Beautiful collection is a versatile option for many collectors. The silver uncirculated bullion coins are legal tender backed by the U.S. government, composed of five troy ounces of 99.9% pure silver, and make a great addition to your silver bullion collection.
The America the Beautiful Coin Series is produced by the United States Mint, an arm of the Department of the Treasury, which guarantees the purity and weight of each coin. Because these coins are manufactured by a sovereign entity in an ISO-9001 mint, each may be included in a self-directed Precious Metal IRA.
Add the Harper's Ferry National Historical Park ATB Silver Coin to your bullion collection today!