The front (obverse) of the Homestead National Monument coin features a restored version of the George Washington portrait by John Flanagan that is characteristic of United States Quarters.
The Homestead National Monument in Nebraska is used to commemorate the passage of the Homestead Act in 1862. This act permitted any person who qualified to claim up to 160 acres so long as they committed to living on and improving the land for a minimum of 5 years.
The first to submit an application for land was Daniel Freeman on January 1, 1863. The Homestead Act ultimately provided around 270,000,000 acres of federal land to private owners. The National Monument sits just west of Beatrice, Nebraska and was dedicated in 2007. Its site contains some of the first land claimed under the Homestead Act.
- Mint: U.S. Mint (West Point)
- Type: Bullion (Investment)
- Mintage: Minted in 2015 with 56,296 uncirculated coins
- Silver Content: 0.999 fine silver
- Diameter: 76.2 mm in diameter (3 in.)
- Thickness: 3.25 mm in thickness (0.128 in.)
- Weight: 5 troy ounces (155.5g)
- Face Value: $0.25
- Coin Highlights:
- First America the Beautiful design released for 2015
- Officially released into circulation on February 24, 2015 as 26th in the series
- All elements of the Homestead coin's reverse design represent the three basic needs of survival: food, water, and shelter
- The final design was chosen out of 12 design options
- Contains 5 troy ounces of .999 pure silver bullion
Whether you choose the America the Beautiful quarters or silver bullion, the collection has proved to be popular for collectors and investors alike.
While the circulated quarters are not worth much more than their face value, the collection as a whole has become popular for both the casual and experienced collectors. The collection's circulated quarters can be collected easily and cheaply with a bit of effort, and the silver bullion offer unique dimensions uncharacteristic of any other coin collection from the U.S. Mint. In addition, the silver bullion coins retain high value due to its purity of silver content.