The obverse of the coin features a restored version of the classic George Washington portrait, similar to the U.S. quarter originally designed and sculpted by John Flanagan.
The Shawnee National Forest was first established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1939. Roosevelt created the park as a way to help prevent the area from experiencing any more deforestation and erosion that had been caused by extensive farming and logging. Once the Shawnee National Forest was established, an extensive seeding operation began to help the forest regrow.
That process continues today, and the forest remains a hub of conservation and dedication to protecting the environment.
The Shawnee National Forest design was the first America the Beautiful coin released for 2016, and is the 31st quarter out of 56 total in the collection.
- Mint: U.S. Mint (Philadelphia)
- Type: Bullion (Investment)
- Mintage: Minted in 2016 with 123,618 uncirculated coins
- Silver Content: 0.999 fine silver
- Diameter: 76.2 mm in diameter (3 in.)
- Thickness: 3.25 mm in thickness (0.128 in.)
- Weight: 5 troy ounces (155.5g)
- Face Value: $0.25
- Coin Highlights:
- First America the Beautiful Commemorative Coin released for 2016 and 31st release out of the expected 56 coins
- Precious metal IRA account approved
- Composed of .999 fine silver
- The Shawnee National Forest is located in Ozark and Shawnee hill of Southern Illinois, and is the largest plot of publicly owned land in the state of Illinois. Shawnee National Forest encompasses 280,000 acres, and was established in 1933
- Minted at the U.S. Mint at Philadelphia
As with the other silver bullion coins that make up the America the Beautiful Collection, the Shawnee National Forest coin is legally backed by the U.S. government, ensuring its high quality. As such, it is also available for inclusion in a certified precious metal IRA account. These highly collectible silver coins are also affordable and sold just over spot price. Get yours today to add value to both your precious metal portfolio and coin collection.